Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Beginning (Genesis) 23

 1Noblewoman (Sarah) lived to be a hundred twenty-seven years old: these were the years of the life of Noblewoman (Sarah).
 2Noblewoman (Sarah) died in City of the Four (Kirjatharba); also known as Association (Hebron) in the land of Humbled One (Canaan): and Father of a Multitude (Abraham) came to mourn for Noblewoman (Sarah), and to weep for her.
 3Father of a Multitude (Abraham) stood up from before his dead, and spoke to the sons of Terror (Heth), saying,
 4:I am a stranger and a sojourner with you: give me a possession of a burying place with you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.”
 5And the children of Terror (Heth) answered Father of a Multitude (Abraham), saying to him,
 6”Hear us, my lord: you are a mighty prince among us: in the choice of our sepulchers bury your dead; none of us shall withhold from you his sepulcher, bury your dead.”
 7Father of a Multitude (Abraham) stood up, and bowed himself to the people of the land, to the children of Terror (Heth).
 8And he communed with them, saying, “If it be your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight; hear me. Ask Fawn-Like (Ephron) the son of Tawny (Zohar)
 9To give me the cave of Double Portion (Machpelah), which he has, which is in the end of his field; I will pay what it is worth for possession of a burying place amongst you.
 10Fawn-Like (Ephron) dwelt among the children of Terror (Heth): and Fawn-Like (Ephron) the Terror (Hittite) answered Father of a Multitude (Abraham) in the audience of the children of Terror (Heth), in front of all at the gate of his city, saying,
 11No, my lord, hear me: I will give you the field, and the cave that is therein, I give it to you; in the presence of the sons of my people give I it to you: bury your dead.
 12Father of a Multitude (Abraham) bowed down himself before the people of the land.
 13And he spoke to Fawn-Like (Ephron) in the audience of the people of the land, saying, “But if you will give it, please, hear me: I will give you money for the field; take it from me, and I will bury my dead there.”
 14Fawn-Like (Ephron) answered Father of a Multitude (Abraham), saying to him,
 15“My lord, listen to me: the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver; what is that between you and me? bury your dead.”
 16Father of a Multitude (Abraham) listened to Fawn-Like (Ephron); and Father of a Multitude (Abraham) weighed to Fawn-Like (Ephron) the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Terror (Heth), four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.
 17So the field of Fawn-Like (Ephron) which was in Double Portion (Machpelah), which was before Strength (Mamre), the field, and the cave which was therein, and all the trees that were in the field, that were in all the borders round about, were made sure
 18To Father of a Multitude (Abraham) for a possession in the presence of the children of Terror (Heth), before all that went in at the gate of his city.
 19After this, Father of a Multitude (Abraham) buried Noblewoman (Sarah) his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah before Strength (Mamre): also know as Association (Hebron) in the land of Humbled One (Canaan).
 20And the field, and the cave that is therein, were deeded to Father of a Multitude (Abraham) for a possession of a burying place by the sons of Terror (Heth).

No comments:

Post a Comment