Friday, November 12, 2021

These Are the Words (Deuteronomy) 2

 1 Then we turned, and took our journey into the wilderness by the way of the Red Sea, as I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) spoke to me: and we circled Mount Shaggy (Seir) many days.

 

2 Then I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) spoke to me, saying:

 

3 You have gone around this mountain long enough: turn northward.

 

4 Command the people, saying: You are to pass through the edge of your brethren the children of Hairy (Esau), which dwell in Shaggy (Seir); and they shall be afraid of you: take good heed to yourselves, therefore:

 

5 Meddle not with them; for I will not give you of their land, no, not so much as a foot breadth; because I have given Mount Shaggy (Seir) to Hairy (Esau) for a possession.

 

6 You shall buy food from them for money, that you may eat; and you shall also buy water of them for money, that you may drink.

 

7 For I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) your God has blessed you in all the works of your hand: He knows your walking through this great wilderness: these forty years I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) your God has been with you; you have lacked nothing.

 

8 When we passed by from our brethren the children of Hairy (Esau), who dwelt in Shaggy (Seir), through the way of the plain from the Grove of Lofty Trees (Elath), and from Backbone of a Man (Eziongaber), we turned and passed by the way of the wilderness of Of His Father (Moab).

 

9 I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) said to me: Distress not the Of His Fathers (Moabites), neither contend with them in battle: for I will not give you of their land for a possession; because I have given City (Ar) to the children of Covering (Lot) for a possession.

 

10 The Terrors (Emims) dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Long-Necks (Anakims);

 

11 Who also were accounted giants, as the Long-Necks (Anakims); but the Of His Fathers (Moabites) called them Terrors (Emims).

 

12 The Cave Dwellers (Horims) also dwelt in Shaggy (Seir) at one time; but the children of Hairy (Esau) succeeded them, when they had destroyed them from before them, and dwelt in their stead; as God Prevails (Israel) did to the land of his possession, which I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) gave to them.

 

13 Now rise up, said I, and get you over the brook Willow Brook (Zered). And we went over Willow Brook (Zered).

 

14 The space in which we came from Holy (Kadeshbarnea) until we came over the brook Willow Brook (Zered), was thirty-eight years; until all the generation of the men of war were wasted out from among the host, as I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) swore to them.

 

15 For indeed the hand of I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) was against them, to destroy them from among the host until they were consumed.

 

16 So it came to pass when all the men of war were consumed and dead from among the people,

 

17 That I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) spoke to me, saying,

 

18 You are to pass over through City (Ar), the coast of Of His Father (Moab), this day:

 

19 And when you come near the children of Tribal (Ammon), distress them not, nor meddle with them: for I will not give you of the land of the children of Tribal (Ammon) any possession; because I have given it to the children of Covering (Lot) for a possession.

 

20 That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time, and the Tribals (Ammoites) call them Plotters (Zamzummims);

 

21 A people great, and many, and tall, as the Long-Necks (Anakims); but I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) destroyed them before them; and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead:

 

22 As he did to the children of Hairy (Esau), which dwelt in Shaggy (Seir), when he destroyed the Cave Dwellers (Horims) from before them; and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead even to this day:

 

23 From the Ruins (Avims) which dwelt in Villages (Hazerim) to The Strong (Azzah), and the Crowns (Caphtorims,) which came forth out of A Crown (Caphtor), they destroyed them and dwelt in their stead.

 

24 Rise up, take your journey, and pass over the river Rushing Stream (Arnon): behold, I have given into your hand Warrior (Sihon) the Talkers, Sayers (Amorite), king of Stronghold (Heshbon), and his land: begin to possess it, and contend with him in battle.

 

25 This day will I begin to put the dread of you and the fear of you upon the nations that are under the whole heaven, who shall hear the report of you, and shall tremble, and be in anguish because of you.

 

26 So I sent messengers out of the wilderness of Eastern (Kedemoth) to Warrior (Sihon) king of Stronghold (Heshbon) with words of peace, saying,

 

27 Let me pass through your land: I will go along by the highway, I will neither turn to the right hand nor to the left.

 

28 You shall sell me food for money, that I may eat; and give me water for money, that I may drink: only I will pass through on my feet;

 

29 As the children of Hairy (Esau) which dwell in Shaggy (Seir), and the Of His Father’s (Moabites) which dwell in City (Ar), did to me;) until I shall pass over the Descender (Jordan) into the land which I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) our God ('Elohiym) gives us.

 

30 But Warrior (Sihon) king of Stronghold (Heshbon) would not let us pass by him: for I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) your God ('Elohiym) hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate, that He might deliver him into your hand, as appears this day.

 

31 I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) said to me: Behold, I have begun to give Warrior (Sihon) and his land before you: begin to possess, that you may inherit his land.

 

32 Then Warrior (Sihon) came out against us, he and all his people, to fight at Trodden Down (Jahaz).

 

33 And I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) our God ('Elohiym) delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people.

 

34 And we took all his cities at that time and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:

 

35 Only the cattle we took for a prey to ourselves, and the spoil of the cities which we took.

 

36 From Ruins (Aroer), which is by the brink of the river of Rushing Stream (Arnon), and from the city that is by the river, even to Rocky Region (Gilead), there was not one city too strong for us: I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) our God ('Elohiym) delivered all to us:

 

37 Only to the land of the children of Tribal (Ammon) you did not come, nor to any place of the river Emptying (Jabbok), nor to the cities in the mountains, nor to whatsoever I AM (the LORD, Yehovah) our God ('Elohiym) forbad us.

No comments:

Post a Comment