Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Beginning (Genesis) 18

 
 
1I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) appeared unto him in the plains of Strength (Mamre): and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
 2As he looked up,three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself toward the ground,
 3He said, “My LORD (Adonay), if I have found favor in your sight, please stay a while with your servant.
 4 I'll get you some water to wash your feet. Just rest here under the tree.
 5Let me get you some food so you can fill your bellies, then you can go on your way. If I can't do this much for you, why would you have run across me here?” And they said, Sure, we'll stay!”
 6Father of a Multitude (Abraham) hurried to the tent of Noble Woman (Sarah), and said, “Quick, get three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make bread on the fire.”
 7Then Father of a Multitude (Abraham) ran to the herd, and fetched a young calf and gave it to a young man; and he hurried to dress it.
 8He took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had cooked, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree while they ate.
 9They said, “Where is Noble Woman (Sarah) your wife? He said, “There in the tent.”
 10And He said, I will certainly return to you according to the time of life. At that time Noble Woman (Sarah) your wife shall have a son. And Noble Woman (Sarah) heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
 11Now Father of a Multitude (Abraham) and Noble Woman (Sarah) were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Noble Woman (Sarah) after the manner of women.
 12So Noble Woman (Sarah) laughed within herself, saying, After I am old shall I have pleasure (eden), my lord being old also?
 13And I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) said unto Father of a Multitude (Abraham), Why did Noble Woman (Sarah) laugh, saying, “Sure, I'm old and I'm going to bear a child?”
 14Is any thing too hard for I AM (the LORD - Yehovah)? At the time appointed I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Noble Woman (Sarah) shall have a son.
 15Noble Woman (Sarah) denied it, saying, “I didn't laugh.” because she was afraid. But He said, “No, you did laugh.”
 16Then the men started toward Burning (Sodom): and Father of a Multitude (Abraham) went with them to bring them on the way.
 17And I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) said, “Shall I hide from Father of a Multitude (Abraham) the thing I am about to do?
 18Seeing that Father of a Multitude (Abraham) shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
 19For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of I AM (the LORD - Yehovah), to do justice and judgment; that I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) may bring upon Father of a Multitude (Abraham) that which I have spoken of him.”
 20I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) said, “Because the cry of Burning (Sodom) and Tyrants (Gomorrah) is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
 21I am going down to observe the works of destruction that are the cause of this outcry and make Myself known.”
 22And the men turned their faces from there, and went toward Burning (Sodom): but Father of a Multitude (Abraham) stood yet before I AM (the LORD - Yehovah).
 23And Father of a Multitude (Abraham) drew near, and said, “Will You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
 24Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: will you also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous?
 25Far be it from You to do do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, surely You wouldn't do that! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?”
 26And I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) said, “If I find in Burning (Sodom) fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.”
 27Then Father of a Multitude (Abraham) answered and said, “Look now, I have taken upon me to speak to the LORD (Adonay), even though I am but dust and ashes:
 28Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: will You destroy all the city for lack of five?” And He said, “If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.”
 29And he spoke to Him yet again, and said, “Peradventure there shall be forty found there.” And He said, “I will not do it for forty's sake.”
 30 Once again he said to Him, “Oh let not the LORD (Adonay) be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there?” And He said, “I will not do it, if I find thirty there.”
 31And he said, “Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak to the LORD(Adonay): Peradventure there shall be twenty found there?” And He said, “I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.”
 32And he said, “Oh let not the LORD (Adonay) be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there?” And He said, “I will not destroy it for ten's sake.”
 33Then I AM (the LORD - Yehovah) went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Father of a Multitude (Abraham): and Father of a Multitude (Abraham) returned unto his place.

No comments:

Post a Comment